Pages

my followers

Monday, March 7, 2011

Foot trouble

Last week, my darling bride posted a blog about her fear of self-portraits and how her (insane and completely wrong) image issues come into play every now and again. Now, I'm not ravishingly handsome or anything, but I'd like to think I've got something going on. Otherwise, I wouldn't have got the girl some twenty-one years ago. And don't worry, I'm not going to post a self-pic here. This is about my very real and very founded fear of showcasing my...um, "feet".

Yeah...that's not a picture of my feet. That's just some random dude's feet that I found online.

My feet are, in a word, what-the-fuglyicious. I know...new word (and even better band name, in my opinion). But, this has been the case for all of my 30-something years. When I was a kid, they were bony and skinny. As a teenager (and young adult) they smelled funky and just as bony and skinny. Now, they're just bonier, skinnier, itchier versions of their younger selves. And what-the-fuglyicious. The only good news? Now, they don't smell so bad.

Still, though, I've become brave over the past year or so. I started wearing flip flops. My desire to not look like a doofus in those old man sandals combined with wanting to stay cool in the "OMG I'm dying" conditions of Florida summers overrode my fear of showing my WTFF (what-the-fuglyicious feet...see what I did there?)

So, what does this have to do with anything? For starters, the fam trekked to a local park yesterday afternoon to let the animal and kiddos expend some energy, which they did with gusto. As always, my trusty iPhone 4 was at the ready to snap some pics and things were going well...

Trees...






























Pics of the wife, kids and animal taking a stroll...

Even a shadowy self-portrait...



























And then, it happened...

Just as I was lining up some more shadow-portrait shots, I inadvertently snapped a picture that included my WTFF. I was horrified and morbidly curious all at the same time. As it turns out, it's not that wretched. With some post-processing, it's almost nearly passably tolerable.


Well, add another check off my bucket list. One of my features is almost photogenic. Now, to work on the rest of me...

By the way, this was my photo of the day from our little park trip/self-assessment/energy releaser...